Language variant : Baptistry of Pistoia
Architect : n/a
Locality : Pistoia
Country : Italy
Building style : Gothic
“The precious gothic building with its two-colored marble exterior is clearly tied to the Pistoian Romanesque tradition…It was built in its present form just after the mid-fourteenth century. Nevertheless the first structure can be traced back to a previous era since as early as the twelfth century, there is documentation referring to a church of San Giovanni in front of the Cathedral. According to legend, just after the middle of the same century the Bishop Atto was buried here, the man who introduced to Pistoia the important worship of San Jacopo. Although the original structure of the Baptistery is not known, it presumably had in keeping with the most widely known typology of these buildings – a central plan with a baptismal font at the center. In 1226 Lanfranco da Como made the font which can still be admired today. The date and signature can be read in the beautiful inscription in uncial lettering inside the basin. In the early 1300s the City decided to rebuild the Baptistery but the project was postponed due to the war between Lucca and Florence that took place in Pistoia.”
http://www.comune.pistoia.it/eng/scoperta_34_eng.html (August 5, 2011).
Ed. Katriina Puputti