Found project: St. Mihail Lutheran church


    Project : St. Mihail Lutheran church

    Language variant : Evangelichesko-ljuteranskij sobor Svjatogo Mihaila

    Architect : Bulmering, Carl von

    Completion: 1876

    Locality : St. Petersburg

    Country : Russia

    Building style :

    Description :

    #The parish of St. Michael appeared in St. Petersburg during the first decades of the existence of the city. From the very beginning of the development of the Vasilevsky Island, which was designed by Domenico Trezzini and was suppose to become the center of the capital, many Germans Lutherans hired by Peter the Great started to settle here. In 1732, on this same island, the Cadet Corps was founded, and on its premises, for the Lutheran cadets, a chapel was consecrated in the name of the Archangel Michael. It wore the same name as the very first Lutheran church in Russia, which existed from 1576 to 1578 in the German settlement of Moscow.
    In 1767 the chapel became open to residents of nearby neighborhoods. However, in 1839 the reconstruction of the building of the Cadets corps started, and on May 12, 1842 the chapel was demolished because it 'encumbered the yard'. Nicholas I, who did not really approve of the frequent presence of secular people in the military establishment, decided to give out annually from the treasury a sum of 5000 rubles to rent of a space for the parish, and from 1842 to 1873, services were conducted in the house of Mrs. Tiklin, situated at the corner of the Third line and the Bolshoi Prospekt of Vasilevsky Island.
    However, this situation could not satisfy the parish. Petitions followed one another. Finally, on July 12, 1874, Alexander II had approved the construction project of engineer, Colonel Carl von Bulmering. On October 23, 1874 the first stone was laid, and on December 19, 1876 the church was consecrated.
    The destiny of the church in the XX century was the same as that of thousands of churches in Russia. On August 15, 1935 it was closed and subsequently completely rebuilt from the inside for a factory producing sporting equipment. Only in 1991 parishioners were able to gather in one of the rooms, and in 1992 the church was returned to them.#

    http://www.stmihail.ru/about/ (August 8, 2011)

    Ed. and transl. A. Makkonen



    Images 1-14 of 14
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia

    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    St. Mihail Lutheran church
    Image © Makkonen, Oulia