Architect : Arbeitsgruppe 4
Locality : Salzburg
Country : Austria
Building style : Modern architecture (not specified)
Project on the map (green arrow)
The church in Salzburg-Parsch (1953–1956) started the careers of architects Johannes Spalt, Friedrich Kurrent and Wilhelm Holzbauer, and the College of St. Joseph (1961–1964) is their last joint work as the Arbeitsgruppe 4. Both buildings are remarkable in Austrian architectural history and were made possible by a very dedicated builder, the “Kongregation der Missionare vom kostbaren Blut” [Congregation of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood].
Unpublished early designs show a concrete building with a focus on the classical modern. Although the basic concept is already clear with structured “squares”, the construction is still not playing its later role. The college is one of a series of buildings and projects of the Arbeitsgruppe 4, which was created after a significant meeting with the architect Konrad Wachsmann in 1956.
Wachsmann’s rational-structural approach, which included questions about the modular order, prefabrication and flexible construction, impressed Kurrent and the former aircraft constructor Spalt. Both wanted the College to be as coherent and compact a structure as possible. Holzbauer, however, who had learned other impulses in America, wanted to pursue other initiatives. The result is a multilayered structure with V-shaped plate girders lying on two-storey columns under a horizontal cantilevered roof. Spatially the priest seminary is organized by a 2.5 x 2.5 meter grid framework.
http://www.nextroom.at/building.php?id=646 (July 17, 2011).
Ed. and transl. Katriina Puputti