Language variant : House of Art
Architect : Troost, Paul L.
Locality : München
Country : Germany
Building style :
Project on the map (green arrow)
Hitler commissioned the House of Art in 1933 as a replacement for the Glass Palace in the old Botanical Gardens, which had burned down in 1931.
The “primitive-classicist” gallery was the first monumental building of the NS regime and set a standard for later designs. The concrete structure is faced in natural stone and has a full-height piered hall along Prinzregentenstrasse.
The interior is lit by skylights; all technical installations are hidden. Since WWII the building has been used for temporary exhibitions.
Nerdinger, Winfried: Architekturführer München. (Translation). Dietrich Reimer Verlag, Berlin 2007, p. 75.
Ed. Heikki Nikkinen