Language variant : St. Nicolas-des-Champs
Architect : n/a
Locality : Paris
Country : France
Building style : Gothic
Project on the map (green arrow)
"The church of Saint-Nicolas-des-Champs occupies the place of a chapel originally situated in the countryside, outside the walls of the city. The appellation “Des-Champs” (of the fields) comes from that. The first text where it is mentioned is from the year 1119. A little later, about the middle of 12th c., it became parish. Of this church, which appears to have been enlarged in 1399, there remains no trace. A complete reconstruction started in 1420 and continued until 1480. From that date many adjustments and reconstructions were of course made.
It is known that the scientist Guillaume Budé, the philosopher Pierre Gassendi and the famous writer Mademoiselle de Scudéry were buried in Saint Nicolas, but there remains nothing of their monuments."
Amédée Boinet, Les Edifices Réligieux: Moyen-Age. Renaissance, Ed. H. Laurens, 1910, Paris, pp. 132, 137. Série: les richesses d’art de la ville de Paris.
Ed. and trans. Adzhoa Makkonen