Architect : Brun, Charles de
Locality : Paris
Country : France
Building style : Baroque
Project on the map (green arrow)
"The main curiosity of the Saint Nicolas du Chardonnet church is the chapel dedicated to Saint Charles Borromée, patron of the famous painter Charles Le Brun, who took an active part in the construction and embellishment of the church. The artist decorated that chapel, which served as a sepulchre to his family, with a taste that permits to fully appreciate his decorative genious. One’s attention is particularly drawn to the shrine he erected in memory of his mother. It is a poignant composition, without emphasis, and which vigorous simplicity approaches grandeur. Le Brun’s mother rises out of her sepulcher, lifts her gaze to the heavens in a burst of begging adoration. An angel glides lightly and gracefully above the tomb."
Jean Bayet, Les Edifices Réligieux: XVII, XVIII et XIX siècles, Ed. H. Laurens, 1910, Paris, pp. 85–86. Série: les richesses d’art de la ville de Paris.
Ed. and trans. Adzhoa Makkonen