Language variant : St. Merri
Architect : n/a
Completion: 16th c.
Locality : Paris
Country : France
Building style : Gothic
Project on the map (green arrow)
"In the middle of the 7th c. rose in the woods situated north to the Seine, a small chapel dedicated to Saint Pierre, near which Saint Merry, abbot of Martin Saint of Autun, and his disciple Saint Frou stopped when they came to Paris to visit the tombs of Saint Germain, Sainte Genevieve and Saint Denis. It is in a cell of this oratory that the monk lived for three years. At his death, around the year 700, he was buried in the Saint Pierre chapel. In the end of 9th c., Eudes the Falconer, one of the most heroic defenders of Paris at the time of the attacks of the Normans, founded the first church, which got, along with the dedication of Saint Pierre, the one of Saint Merry. The body of saint Merry, to whom numerous miracles were attributed, was moved to that church. When the building was demolished in the 16th c., a stone coffin with the remains of Eudes the Falconner, still wearing his gilded leather boots, was discovered. He was consign to grave once more under the choir and the place was marked by a white marble square, on which the old Latin inscription was re-engraved."
Amédée Boinet, Les Edifices Réligieux: Moyen-Age. Renaissance, Ed. H. Laurens, 1910, Paris, p. 152. Série: les richesses d’art de la ville de Paris.
Ed. and transl. Adzhoa Makkonen