Architect : Mansart, J. H. & Cotte, de
Locality : Versailles
Country : France
Building style : Baroque
Project on the map (green arrow)
"In 1668 Louis XIV having decided to enlarge his domains, bought a small village, called Trianon, situated at the edge of Versailles. He then asked his architect, Le Vau, to build on this site a pavilion which would serve as a meeting place for all kinds of rustic festivities.
In 1670 the House of Porcelain was completed; it was a small building and the outside was entirely decorated with blue-and-white Delft pottery tiles. But this little château proved too small for the King. In 1687, Louis XIV commissioned Mansart to design a new dwelling which would be on a more royal scale; and it was a veritable palace that the Sun King finally inaugurated in 1688, in the company of the Grand Dauphin and Madame de Maintenon. This was the marble Trianon that we know today.
At Louis XIV’s death, the château was deserted for many years, for Louis XV and Louis XVI took little interest in the Grand Trianon. During the Revolution, the furnishings were sold, but the château survived. In 1805, Napoleon ordered it to be restored and refurnished. Under Louis-Philippe, a little life once more returned to the Trianon, as he often stayed there with his family.
Then for almost a century, it slipped into oblivion, until 1962 when General de Gaulle…decided to use the palace for receptions in honor of foreign Heads of State."
Gerald Van Der Kemp, Versailles, Sotheby Parke Bernet, 1978, pp. 213–215.
Ed. Adzhoa Makkonen