Architect : Cambio, Arnolfo di
Locality : Firenze
Country : Italy
Building style : Romanesque
Project on the map (green arrow)
“The Gothic military style finds a most suitable expression in the majesty of the tower, a sort of cantilevered belfry which is still truly the ‘lighthouse of the city’, in both meanings of the term. For more than seven centuries it has witnessed the major events of the city below. In 1478 Archbishop Salviati and half a dozen conspirators in the pay of the Pazzi were hung from the windows of the Palazzo—they namely assassinated Giuliano de’ Medici during the Pazzi Conspiracy. In 1492, Savonarola came to power here. Five years later he was burned to death, in the middle of the square where, only a year before, he had tossed books, objects of art and pictures which were, in his uncompromising view, licentious, on to the ‘bonfire of human vanity’”.
Leprohon, Pierre: Florence, Editions Minerva, 1978, pp. 19, 36.
Ed. Katriina Puputti