Found project: Hagios Georgios


    Project : Hagios Georgios

    Language variant : Aya Yorgi

    Architect : Matthew II of Constantinople (commissioner)

    Completion: 1600 (seat of the patriarchate – cirka)

    Locality : Istanbul

    Country : Turkey

    Building style : Byzantine

    Description :

    “Leaving the main road and veering left on Sadrazam Ali Pasha Caddesi, we soon come to the entrance to the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate and the church of Haghios Yorgios, St George. The Patriarchate has been on this site since 1601, having previously moved around to several other churches after being forced out of the Pammakaristos when it was converted into a mosque in 1586. The first reference to the church of St George is by Stefan Gerlach in 1573, while the present structure is due to a rebuilding in 1836. Opposite the church are the administrative headquarters of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate. During the Ottoman period the Patriarch of Constantinople, under the suzerainty of the Sultan, was the religious leader of all Orthodox Christians in the Empire. The present Patriarch, Bartholomeus, traces his succession back to the first bishop of Byzantium, St Stachys, anointed by the Apostle Andrew. Bartholomeus is the head of the Greek Orthodox Church and the spiritual leader of Orthodox Christians throughout the world, a position that he has used to advance the ecumenical movement.”

    John Freely, The companion guide to Istanbul and around Marmara, Companion Guides, Woodbridge, 2000, p. 222.

    Ed. Adzhoa Makkonen



    Images 1-2 of 2
    Hagios Georgios
    Hagios Georgios
    Image © Heikki Hanka

    Hagios Georgios
    Hagios Georgios
    Image © Heikki Hanka