Language variant : Alay Köskü
Architect : n/a
Locality : Istanbul
Country : Turkey
Building style :
Project on the map (green arrow)
#Alay Köşkü, the parade pavilion, is so named because from it the Sultan would watch the various official and military parades, the most spectacular being the Procession of the Guilds. According to Evliya Çelebi, who watched a precession in 1638, there were 1001 guilds (in other words an uncountable number), divided into 57 sections. All wore costumes associated with their guild and, like some glorified carnival, with tumblers, mime actors and every kind of entertainer doing their best to delight the Sultan.
The original pavilion was built here in the mid-16th C., but the present one dates from a rebuilding in 1819 by Sultan Mahmut II. Today it houses a moderate collection of embroidery, hand-printed cloth and a few kilims, but not as imaginatively displayed as are most Turkish museums.#
Jane Taylor, Imperial Istanbul (Iznik – Bursa – Edirne), Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London, 1989, p. 108.
Ed. Adzhoa Makkonen