Language variant : Avret Tash
Architect : Arcadius (commissioner)
Locality : Istanbul
Country : Turkey
Building style :
Project on the map (green arrow)
#To celebrate his victory on December 23rd, in the year 400, over usurper Gainas, Emperor Arcadius (395-408) erected a memorial column of white marble on the forum that bore his name, the Xérolophos. Its inauguration took place in 421, under Theodosius II.
In the Ottoman epoch, the column was practically encircled with private buildings in the Muslim district of Avret pazarı. That is why Western visitors were compelled to discretion to be able to visit, study or mount to the top of it. Pierre Gilles already noted then [first half of the sixteenth century] signs of degradation of the monument. Over time, the situation could only worsen. Quiclet in 1658, observed that one could not discern much of the reliefs, for some ascertain that the column was tear down by an earthquake, and others by Turks, during the seize of the city, who set fire to it in order to melt the gold and silver with which the column was enriched.#
Byzance Retrouvée, Érudits et voyageurs français (XVI-XVIII siècles), Centre d’études byzantines, neo-helléniques et sud-est européennes – EHESS Publications de la Sorbonne – Byzantina Sorbonensia, 2001, pp. 55-56.
Ed. and transl. Adzhoa Makkonen