Architect : Erlach, Johann Bernhard Fischer von & Erlach, Joseph Emanuel Fischer von
Locality : Wien
Country : Austria
Building style : Baroque
Project on the map (green arrow)
Fischer von Erlach’s Karlskirche (1716) is a strange, not altogether successful, amalgam of Baroque imagination and classical scholarship. Fischer had spent several formative years in Italy and he remained something of a Roman all his life. His knowledge of classical buildings was profound (he wrote the first history of architecture). In his most scholarly work, the Karlskirche, he employed Trajan’s Column, doubled, to symbolize the emperor’s power, and the portico of Pantheon combined with a dome that looks to Michelangelo or Cortona. The two columns (replicas of Trajan’s Column in Rome) stand for the Habsburg emblem of the Pillars of Hercules, the ancient world’s image for the Straits of Gibraltar, limits of the known world.
Sutton, Ian: Western Architecture, A Survey from Ancient Greece to the Present, Thames and Hudson, London 1999, pp. 182–183.
Ed. Heikki Nikkinen