Architect : Biasio, Cypriano
Locality : Wien
Country : Austria
Building style : Baroque
Project on the map (green arrow)
In 1631 the Dominicans started to build a new oblong church with a dome, following the plan of Jacopo Tencala, architect of Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein. The master builders were Jacopo Spacio, Cipriano Biasino and Antonio Canevale. They introduced to Vienna the Baroque style of Italy. The finishing touch was finally given in 1674.
The impressive facade was built in the Roman-Lombardic style with dominant columns, supporting the cornice. Its architecture goes back to early Baroque churches in Rome, that in turn, rely on the facade of the Dominican church Santa Maria Novella in Florence. Above the portal one can see the statues of St. Catherine of Siena and Agnes of Montepulciano, kneeling at the feet of Our Lady, patron saint of this church. On both sides of the portal there are niches with (on the left) the statue of Ludwig Bertrand and (on the right) Saint Rose of Lima. On top of the facade is a large rectangular gable with a dormer window, crowned by a pediment. The ornate interior is imposing by its architecture and the exquisite stucco in the decorations. Semicircular windows allow a soft light on the frescoes of the barrel-vaulted ceiling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Church,_Vienna (June 22, 2011).
Ed. Heikki Nikkinen