Language variant : Cathedral of Our Dear Lady
Architect : n/a
Locality : München
Country : Germany
Building style : Gothic
Project on the map (green arrow)
Built on the site of the original Romanesque church, the brick cathedral dominates the skyline with its 109 m length, 37 m width, 33 m high vaulting and 99 m high two towers.
The church was completed in only 20 years and its bulbous tower cupolas (1525) have become the symbol of the city. The interior is dominated by closely spaced octagonal columns.
Heavily damaged in the war, vaulting and window tracery were replaced with reinforced concrete in 1948–53, and the four rows of dormer windows on the roof were eliminated. Today’s bare interior is an expression of the postwar style. Restoration in 1992–93 returned Erasmus Graser’s choir stalls.
Nerdinger, Winfried: Architekturführer München. (Translation). Dietrich Reimer Verlag, Berlin 2007, p. 2.
Ed. Heikki Nikkinen