Found project: St. Matthäus


    Project : St. Matthäus

    Language variant : St. Matthew's Church

    Architect : Gsaenger, Gustav

    Completion: 1955

    Locality : München

    Country : Germany

    Building style : Modern architecture (not specified)

    Project on the map (green arrow)

    Description :

    Gauleiter Wagner ordered Munich’s first Protestant church to be destroyed on the night of 13th June 1938.

    The Matthew’s church was replaced in 1955. The nave holds 1000 worshippers, the parish hall an additional 500. Choir, nave and balcony flow into one another; six columns bear the curved roof fully spanning the nave, hall and ancillary rooms.

    Angela Gsaenger’s mosaic embraces the raised altar; the crucifix was by Andreas Schwarzkopf. The concrete structure has brick infills. The 52 m tower and curved choir wall dominate Sendlinger-Tor-Platz.

    Nerdinger, Winfried: Architekturführer München, Dietrich Reimer Verlag, Berlin 2007, p. 105.

    Ed. and transl. Heikki Nikkinen



    Images 1-9 of 9
    St. Matthäus
    St. Matthäus
    Image © Arto Kuorikoski

    St. Matthäus
    St. Matthäus
    Image © Arto Kuorikoski

    St. Matthäus
    St. Matthäus
    Image © Arto Kuorikoski

    St. Matthäus
    St. Matthäus
    Image © Arto Kuorikoski

    St. Matthäus
    St. Matthäus
    Image © Arto Kuorikoski

    St. Matthäus
    St. Matthäus
    Image © Arto Kuorikoski

    St. Matthäus
    St. Matthäus
    Image © Arto Kuorikoski

    St. Matthäus
    St. Matthäus
    Image © Arto Kuorikoski

    St. Matthäus
    St. Matthäus
    Image © Arto Kuorikoski