Language variant : St. Mary in Rivotorto
Architect : n/a
Locality : Assisi
Country : Italy
Building style :
Project on the map (green arrow)
The church of Santa Maria of Rivotorto, famous as the “Sanctuary of Rivotorto”, is located in the homonymous village, a few kilometres south of the city of Santa Maria degli Angeli. The edifice was born with the aim of preserving the structures of the Sacred Tugurio, which is the place where Saint Francis gathered together his followers before he obtained from the Order of the Benedictine Monks the ownership of the Porziuncola, a chapel in Santa Maria degli Angeli. The actual building in neo gothic style, built after the earthquake of 1854 that destroyed the church dating from the 16th century, is made of three bays one can reach through three doors. Inside, in addition to the suggestive view of the Tugurio, one can admire twelve paintings dating back to the 17th century, painted by Cesare Permei, representing some moments of the life of Saint Francis during the period he spent in Rivotorto.
http://www.bellaumbria.net/Assisi/santuario_di_rivotorto_eng.htm (June 6, 2011).
Ed. Katriina Puputti