Language variant : Ferrara Cathedral
Architect : Adelardi, Guglielmo degli
Locality : Ferrara
Country : Italy
Building style : Romanesque
Project on the map (green arrow)
Ferrara Cathedral is the largest religious edifice in the city. It is dedicated to Saint George, the patron saint of Ferrara. It is located in the city centre, not far from the Palazzo Comunale and the famous Castello Estense and is connected to the Archbishop’s Palace by a covered passage. The basilica was begun in 12th century, when the city was extending towards the left bank of the Po River. The former Cathedral, also dedicated to St. George, still stands on the right bank of the river. The new edifice was consecrated in 1135. The original Romanesque design is manifest in the façade: it is in white marble, with three cusps and a series of loggias, small arcades and rose windows, statues and numerous bas-reliefs. The interior has been entirely remade in Baroque style after a fire in the 18th century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrara_Cathedral (August 1, 2011).
Ed. Katriina Puputti