Language variant : St. Peter's Church
Architect : Benedictine Order (commissioner)
Completion: 1268 (facade)
Locality : Assisi
Country : Italy
Building style : Romanesque
Project on the map (green arrow)
Assisi had for decades a lot of construction work going on. St. Claire had arisen next to St. Francis, and St. Peter was rebuilt in 1253 and consecrated again by Pope Innocent IV. In 1268 the facade of the church was completed. She doesn’t have yet the strong Gothic influences that St. Francis and St. Claire already have, but in the façade she is continuing the tradition of St. Rufino and is equal to the façades of the both churches previously mentioned. The horizontal division produced by the strong friezes in two floors, the similar vertical effect produced by the lisenes, the accentuation of the main portal instead of the side doors and the natural placement of the three rose windows in the central nave and the both aisles—that all gives to St. Peter a place of honour next to the larger churches of the city.
Goetz, Walter: Assisi, Verlag von E. A. Seeman, Leipzig 1909, pp. 125–129.
Ed. and transl. Katriina Puputti