Paikkakunta : Berlin
Maa : Germany
Kohde kartalla (vihreä nuoli)
Siemens acquired their first plot on the lower reaches of the Spree, beyond the Ringbahn in 1897, and this became the core of a gigantic, industrial area with its own residential and commercial centre.
Siemensstadt grew and led to a harmonious juxtaposition of all functions within an ordered urban development.
Most of the buildings of the first decade have disappeared, but the silhouette is still dominated by high complexes dating from the tens, twenties and thirties. More recent new building is usually low, even single-storey, to accommodate modern manufacturing techniques. Constant structural change can be seen in the buildings.
Siemens’ chief architects of the period were responsible, first Karl Janisch, then Hans Hertlein from 1915. The building chronology is revealed by period design features conveyed to the observer by the mass of buildings.
Güttler, Peter et al: Berlin Brandenburg. Ein Architekturführer – An Architectural Guide. Ernst & Sohn 1993, p. 154.
Ed. Heikki Nikkinen