Kohteen kielivariantti : Museum complex for the Ara Pacis
Arkkitehti : Meier, Richard
Valm.vuosi : 2006
Paikkakunta : Roma
Maa : Italy
Rakennustyyli : Moderni arkkitehtuuri (tarkentamaton)
Kohde kartalla (vihreä nuoli)
“The Altar of Augustan Peace was discovered in the fifteenth century beneath the Palazzo Fiano. Parts of it were acquired by the Grand Duke of Tuscany; others, after passing through various hands, found their way into museums in Rome and into the Louvre. The reconstructed altar, those fragments not recovered being represented by facsimiles, is now displayed in a glass building between the Augusteum and the Tiber.”
Hibbert, Christopher: Rome – The Biography of a City, Penguin Books, 1985, p. 318.
The new Museo dell’Ara Pacis was designed by Richard Meier and Partners—who also designed the Jubilee Church Dio Padre Misericordioso for Vicariato di Roma’s (Archdiocese of Rome) Millennium project—and opened to the public in 2006. The front of the museum is visible from a distance as one approaches from the south. Its pervasive rectangular design, characteristic of the international style of the past half-century, contrasts with that of the landmark churches to its right, while harmonizing with the 1939 Fascist office buildings on the other three sides of the Piazza. A grand approach is provided by the expansive staircase, beyond which visitors are welcomed by a recessed, glass-fronted entry.
http://cdm.reed.edu/ara-pacis/meier/exterior/front/front-1.php (July 14, 2011).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_Church (July 14, 2011).
Ed. Katriina Puputti