Haettu kohde: Piazza Navona


    Kohde : Piazza Navona

    Arkkitehti : Domitianus (rakennuttaja)

    Valm.vuosi : 86 (alkuperäinen funktio)

    Paikkakunta : Roma

    Maa : Italy

    Rakennustyyli : Barokki

    Kohde kartalla (vihreä nuoli)

    Kuvaus :

    “The Piazza Navona was originally Domitian’s Circus Agonalis, or athletes’ stadium. In time, the name developed into n’Agona and eventually into Navona. The square remained virtually unchanged as an arena for jousting and sports until the early Renaissance when Sixtus IV moved a market into it from the Capitoline hill. It was paved in 1485 and as it gradually assumed the character of a public square the seats all around it disappeared. It retained, however, as it still does, its outline of a circus. It acquired its present aspect through the patronage of the Pamphilj Pope, Innocent X. His family palace, Palazzo Pamphilj, was built for him in 1644–50. The church of S. Agnese in Agone was begun by Rainaldi in 1652 and completed by Borromini in 1657. The Fountain of the four rivers is by Bernini.”

    Hibbert, Christopher: Rome – The Biography of a City, Penguin Books, 1985, p. 350.

    Ed. Katriina Puputti



    Kuvat 1-7 yht. 7
    Piazza Navona
    Piazza Navona
    Kuva © Arto Kuorikoski

    Piazza Navona
    Piazza Navona
    Kuva © Arto Kuorikoski

    Piazza Navona
    Piazza Navona
    Kuva © Arto Kuorikoski

    Piazza Navona
    Piazza Navona
    Kuva © Arto Kuorikoski

    Piazza Navona
    Piazza Navona
    Kuva © Arto Kuorikoski

    Piazza Navona
    Piazza Navona
    Kuva © Arto Kuorikoski

    Piazza Navona
    Piazza Navona
    Kuva © Arto Kuorikoski